This chapter covers the following topics:
Terms which are commonly used in eXo Platform applications.
Introduction to what you need to do for the first startup of eXo Platform.
Introduction to the Social Intranet homepage, the Social Intranet applications and how to change your language.
How to sign in and sign out Social Intranet.
How to change your account profile and password.
How to request a link to reset your password.
How to post status updates, share links and documents, delete activities/comments, comment on activities, or like/unlike activities.
According to your roles, not all features described in this guide are available to you. Check with your administrator to assure which features are for your account or ask for more appropriate rights.
This section provides a number of terms that you will encounter when implementing eXo Platform.
A web-based environment which is used for aggregating and personalizing information via specific applications with an interactive and consistent look and feel. Users and administrators are able to integrate information, people and processes via a web-based user interface.
An applicative component pluggable to a site through which users can access some specific information, including supports, updates, or mini-applications. The portlet produces fragments of a markup code that are aggregated into a page. Typically, a page is displayed as a non-overlapping portlet windows collection, where each portlet window displays a portlet. Content generated by a portlet can be customized, depending on the configuration set by each user. Portlets can be divided into two following types:
- Functional portlets which support all functions of a site. They are built into the site and accessed via toolbar links when the site-related tasks are performed.
- Interface portlets which constitute the eXo Platform interface as front-end components of the site.
A super-user is a special user who has full privileges and used for the administration. In eXo Platform, this account is configured with Root, Root, root@localhost and its memberships are member:/organization/management/executive-board, *:/platform/administrators, *:/platform/users, *:/platform/web-contributors, *:/organization/employees. A super-user has all permissions on all features of eXo Platform.
A collaboration workspace where you can share documents, tasks, events, wikis and more. A space can be open or closed, private or public and space administrators can manage members and applications that are available.
A bond among people in a network. By connecting to other people, you will be able you to track their activities through the activity stream.
An activity is published on the Activity Stream and allows you to follow what your connections are sharing, such as links to documents or just moods. An activity can be made out of different parts:
- The author
- The author’s avatar
- The space
- The type of the activity (for instance Documents, Wiki, Forums, Spaces or Connections)
- The activity message
- The featured content
- The action bars including the buttons Comment and Like
- The like section
- The comment section
A mini web application which is run on a platform and can be integrated and customized in the website. You can add these gadgets to your dashboards by yourself.
eXo Platform offers two access modes by default:
- Public mode is for guest users (visitors) who are not registered. In this mode, you are not required to sign in, but limited to public pages in the site. After being registered successfully, you can use the private mode, but must contact the site administrators to get more rights or the group manager to become the member and gain the access to the group.
- Private mode is for registered users who will apply their usernames and passwords to sign in. This mode supports users in taking many actions, such as creating private pages, editing or deleting them, “borrowing” pages from others by creating hyperlinks, changing languages to their individual needs, managing private information.
Permission settings control actions of a user within the site and are set by the administrators. See Managing permissions <Administration.ManagingPermissions> for more details.
A locus where content or digital data are maintained. Users can access without traveling across a network.
A shortcut to a specific location in the content repository that enables administrators to limit visibility of each workspace for groups of users. It is also a simple way to hide the complexity of the content storage by showing only the structure that is helpful for business users.
In details, a drive consists of:
- A configured path where the user will start when browsing the drive.
- A set of allowed views that will allow the user to limit the available actions, such as editing or creating content while being in the drive.
- A set of permissions which limits the access and view of the drive to a specified number of people.
- A set of options to describe the behavior of the drive when the users browse it.
An abstract unit used to build linked data structures, such as linked lists and trees, and computer-based representation of graphs. Nodes contain data and/or links to another nodes. Links between nodes are often implemented by pointers or references.
Also, a node can be defined as a logical placeholder for data. It is a memory block which contains some data units, and optionally a reference to some other data. By linking one node with other interlinked nodes, very large and complex data structure can be formed.
This term stands for Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning. In eXo Platform, it is used as a mean to access the content repository directly from the Sites Explorer.
Welcome to eXo Platform¶
eXo Platform is a full-featured application for users to have many experiences in building and deploying transactional websites, authoring web and social content, creating gadgets and dashboards with reliable capabilities of collaboration and knowledge. When you initialize eXo Platform for the first time, the Terms and Conditions Agreement screen is displayed as follows:
The Terms and Conditions Agreement screen appears in the Commercial editions only. In the Community edition, the Account Setup form appears for the first time.
This agreement contains all terms and conditions that you need to read carefully before deciding to use eXo Platform. By ticking the checkbox at the screen bottom, you totally agree with the eXo Platform’s terms and conditions. Next, click Continue to move to the Account Setup form.
The Account Setup window consists of 2 sub-forms:
- Create your account: Create your primary account.
- Admin Password: Change the default password of the “root” user. You can use this account to log in eXo Platform as a super-user who has the highest rights in the system.
You can select Skip to ignore this step, then sign in as the root user with the default password (gtn).
Setting up your account¶
- Enter your information in fields.
- It is required to fill all fields, except the Username field of the Admin Password form, which is pre-filled with “root” and disabled. See Adding auser for more details.
- Values entered in both Password and Confirm fields must be the same.
- You can change these entered information after logging in eXo Platform. See Changing your account settings for more details.
- Click Submit to finish setting up your account.
Once your account has been created successfully, a Greetings! screen appears that illustrates how to add more users.
3. Click Start to be automatically logged in with your created account and redirected to the Social Intranet homepage. Now, you can start adding more users to collaborate, creating/joining spaces, or creating/following activities.
- After your accounts have been submitted successfully, the following memberships will be granted to your primary account:
- If the server stops before your account setup data is submitted, the Account Setup screen will appear at your next startup.
To change your account information, click your display name on the top navigation bar of the site and click Settings from the drop-down menu.
The account settings appears.
Changing your profile information¶
1- Select the Account Profiles tab.
2- Change your First Name, Last Name and Email. Your Username cannot be changed.
3- Click Save button to submit your changes.
The email address changed must be in the valid format. See details about the Email Address format here.
Changing your password¶
1- Select the Change Password tab.
2- Input your current password to identify that you are the owner of this account.
3- Input your new password which must have at least 6 characters.
4- Re-enter your password in the Confirm New Password field.
5- Click Save button to accept your changes.
The users who just did their login via the social networks will not have a password defined. They should be able to reset a password via their Account Settings or via the Forgot Password feature or ask the administrator to set it (in the Manage Community page). Once the password is set, the user can either log in via the login/password or via the social networks.
When the reset password link is clicked: - An information message is displayed: Reset password guidelines have been sent to you. Please check your mailbox. - The Forgot Password function is executed, and the users receive an email to guide them to change their account password.
If you forget your password, you can request the system to send you a link to reset it. The link will be sent to your email. It helps if you forget the username also, but it requires an email that is set in your account properly.
- In Login screen, click Can’t access your account? link.
- In next screen, input your username or email, then click Send.
- Check your mailbox. The email looks like this:
4. Click the link in the email, then input your new password and click Save.
If the password is saved successfully, a popup will notify you in seconds, then you are redirected to the Login screen.
In case the link has been expired already, you will see a notification like this:
The link expires as soon as you successfully reset the password, or after 1 day by default. The system administrators can configure the expiration time.
Using the Activity Stream¶
- Sharing in the activity stream Steps to post status updates through the Activity Stream.
- The formatting toolbar in activity messages and comments This sections describes possible actions with the microblog toolbar.
- Mentioning someone Steps to refer to someone in your activity composer or comment box.
- Deleting activities/comments Steps to remove activities or comments from Activity Stream.
- Commenting on activities Steps to comment on an activity that allows you to get ideas, answers, and any additional information.
- Liking activities Steps to show your reaction (like/unlike) towards an activity.
- Liking comments Steps to express emotion (like or remove like) on a comment to an activity.
- Replying to comments Steps to reply to a comment.
- Getting permalinks of activities/comments Steps to get permanent links of activities/comments.
After logging in, you will be directed to the Intranet homepage as below.
You can see activities of other users by clicking their display name to reach their profile page, then selecting Activity Stream. However, for people that are not in your connections, you only can view their activities but cannot post, comment or like on their activity streams.
The homepage also aggregates activities from spaces, so you can keep track of their activities without visiting every space. For example, when there is a new post in a forum of a given space, it is displayed in Activity Stream of the space and of the Social Intranet homepage.
You can filter what you want to see on the homepage:
- All Activities: shows all activities from spaces, connections and your activities. This stream is selected by default.
- My Spaces: only shows activities created in spaces where you are member.
- Connections: shows activities created by your connections.
- My Activities: shows your activities (inside and outside a space) and activities where you were mentioned in, that you liked or where you left comments.
To access your Activity Stream page, click your display name on the top navigation bar, then select My Activities.
You will be then directed to your Activity Stream page.
In Activity Stream, the order of activities is based on the last date when you create a publication action, or post a new comment. This means the last publication or comment will be auto-updated and pushed up to the top of the Activity Stream so that you will not miss any recent activities.
The formatting toolbar in activity messages and comments¶
The formatting toolbar (or the microblog component) is present at every place where you can add text message. It allows you to:
- format your text: bold, italic, numbered list, bullet list
- quote a previous message.
- insert a link in your status message/comment
- insert an image in your status message/comment.
Text formatting in the microblog¶
You can format your text to make it richer and more readable by using different effects.
Select the text you want to format. Then click on one of the buttons from the formatting toolbar to apply its effect:
- The first button formats the text as bold.
- The second button formats the text as italic.
- The third button clears the existing format.
- Writing a text then clicking on the fourth button adds the text to a numbered list. Clicking on Enter button of the keyboard adds a new line with the following number. When the listing is finished, to exit from the numbered list, you should click twice on Enter button of the keyboard.
- Typing a text then clicking on that button adds a bullet list. When you finish your listing, you need to double click on Enter button of the keyboard.
Quote text in the microblog¶
The formatting toolbar allows you to quote a previous text message. To do this, click on the Quote button and then copy and paste the text you want to quote.
Double click on the Enter button on your keyboard to leave the quote area.
Insert image in the microblog¶
The last button of the formatting toolbar in the microblog is the Insert Image button allowing you to insert an image in your message/comment.
To insert an image in your text message/comment, follow these steps:
- Click on the Insert Image button to open the Select image form.
You have four options:
Drop an image: drag and drop an image from your computer. A progress bar will appear to indicate the upload progress.
When the upload has ended, the image will appear in the dedicated area.
Upload an image from your desktop: It allows you to select an image from your computer. Browse for the image and double-click on it to select. A progress bar will appear to indicate the upload progress.
When the upload has ended, the image will appear in the dedicated area.
Select on server: select an image already on the server from your drives. Clicking on the link opens the Select files form.
Navigate through your drives and then select an image. This will be directly displayed in the dedicated area.
Pick an image online: insert an image using its URL. Paste the image link into the Image URL field. An upload time will appear and the OK button will be greyed.
When the upload has ended, the image will appear in the dedicated area and the OK button will become clickable.
Click on the Cancel button to return to the screen showing the options. When picking an image online, click on the Back button. This button will disappear when the image is fully uploaded.
- To choose the alignement you want, click on one of the three buttons.
3. Click on the OK button. The image will appear in the comment/message area.
- To resize, hover over the image to bring up a black frame. Manipulate the frame to the size you want.
- When you right click on the image, a contextual menu appears:
Click on Copy followed by Paste to duplicate the image in the editor.
lick on Cut followed by Paste to move the image to another location in the editor.
Click on Change Image to open the Insert Image form prefilled with:
- the image preview.
- the image alignment as previously selected.
- the Remove Image link allowing you to remove the image and start again.
Click on Link to open the Link form allowing you to insert an image using its URL.
After you’ve finished resizing the image and posted it in the activity stream, the image will appear with the exact size you defined. Otherwise it appears in its default size.
Mention is a way to refer to people so that they are informed of who and what you are talking about. Mentioning someone is possible in activity stream composer, activities comments and also document comments. To mention someone, do as follows:
1. Type the “@” symbol into the activity/comment composer, then type the person name you want to mention.
A suggestion list that contains matching characters will appear.
Only one person can be selected at one time.
When mentionning a user with “@”, it displays in first positions contacts in your connections, then other people
2. Go through the suggestion list with the “Up” and “Down” arrow keys or by moving your cursor over it, then click or hit the “Enter” key to validate your selected person.
Only one person can be selected at one time.
After being validated, “@” and following characters will be replaced with First name and Last name which are wrapped in a label. You can click [x] in the label to dismiss it.
In the Activity Stream, the mention is displayed as a link to the mentioned user’s profile page.
- You can do the same steps above to mention someone in your comments (document comments and activity comments).
- The person you mention also sees the post in his/her Activity Stream.
- Document comments appears also in the Activity Stream.
You are allowed to delete your activities/comments that you created, and those in your activity stream and in the space where your are the manager.
- Change the activity filter to All Activities or My spaces to view all of your activities.
2. Hover your cursor over the activity you want to delete, then click that appears.
Click OK in the confirmation message to accept your deletion.
As an eXo Platform user, you can only delete your own activities. If you are manager of a space, you can delete any activities related to this space.
You can “Like” an activity to show your interest and support to that activity.
Liking an activity¶
Click under the activity you like, a tooltip appears . When you like an activity, the “Like” button will be highlighted to show that you already click “Like” on that activity. The activity displays the information of like numbers or people who also like the activity right below it. If many people have liked the activity, you can click to expand the view to see other “likers”.
Unliking an activity¶
To unlike a “Liked” activity, simply click .
When disliking, a tooltip dislike appears.
With eXo Platform 5, it is possible to express emotion on a user’s comment to a status or any other activity by liking the comment.
Under the comment text, a like icon is displayed which has 2 statuses:
- The active status: When a user clicks on the like button, it turns to blue color.
- The inactive status: The button is greyed when it is unclicked or clicked twice i.e first for liking and the second for removing like.
Clicking on the like button adds a number between brackets which indicates the number of users who already liked the comment. If the like button is already clicked and the user reclicks on it, it becomes inactive and the number is decreased by 1.
Mousing over the number between brackets shows a popover which indicates the persons who liked the comment.
If the number of likers is more than 10, the pop over shows 9 usernames and “X-9 more”. To view the full list of usernames, you should click on the number between brackets.
Clicking on the number between brackets displays a popup named People who liked which lists the users who clicked the comment. The pop up contains:
- The user avatar.
- The user name.
- And one of these three buttons ahead each liker name:
- Remove connection to delete a user from your connections.
- Cancel Request to cancel a user invitation.
- Connect to send an invitation to a user or accept his invitation.
Liking comments on documents preview¶
The like on comments feature is available for the documents preview.
It behaves the same as in the activity stream:
- Mousing over the number between brackets displays a pop up with the names of the likers in a list.
- To display the whole list when the number of likers exeeds 10, you should click on the number between brackets which displays the form People who liked.
Replying to comments¶
In addition to Liking comments feature in eXo Platform, it is possible to reply to a comment.
Under each comment, a Reply button appears allowing you to reply to that comment:
When you click on the Reply link, a comment composer appears with your avatar just below the last reply if it exists:
When you click on the comment composer to type your message, a rich text editor toolbar appears allowing you to format your text:
When more than two replies are posted to a comment, the replies are collapsed and a link to View all X replies (X is the total number of replies) is displayed allowing to view the whole replies.
Some other details about the reply to comment feature: - There is only one level of replies, it is the reply to comment. There is not a reply to a reply. - Deleting a comment with replies induces the replies deletion. - In addition to activity stream comments, the reply to comment feature is available for activities of these applications: Documents preview, forum and tasks. - Same as for comments, it is possible to like replies except in tasks application.